Wiltshire Garden History Journal Article

Following the departure of Lord Bolingbroke and with the end of the Second World War still not in sight, it was a leap of faith in 1943 for Swindon Corporation to buy Lydiard House and 147 acres of parkland as a future ‘cultural centre’. Behind the purchase would be the legendary Town Clerk, David Murray John, whose vision of a future Swindon that was more than just a railway town coincided with the spirit among people that post-war Britain should not simply go back to how it was, but be a fairer, better-educated and forward-looking
society.
In an article in Country Life in 1948, Christopher Hussey praised ‘the timely intervention of the Swindon Corporation in acquiring the house: ‘this historic example of Georgian architecture and decoration would probably have soon become beyond repair’.
Published on this website with permission from the Wiltshire Gardens Trust